Saturday, May 22, 2010

One Helluva Afternoon

Being a parent can be one of the scariest jobs I've ever had.

Tonight while picking up toys - Everett got the wild hair to hit Aubrie on the back of the head with a toy hammer.  It was one of those moments where one kids is screaming & you are so mad at the other kid you are overwhelmed.  As Jade was laying down the law to Everett I realized - oh my Lord - she has a gash in the back of her head gushing blood. 


So as Everett bawled in his room for greatly being shamed while we tried to decide - stitches or no stitches which made Aubrie cry harder.

So I went down to see the man who knows it all, my Dad.  He looked at it and decided we didn't need stitches, but to help seal it up we should super glue it.  You're probably thinking we are nuts, but after cleaning her scalp up, we used the glue & it has been much better ever since.


I then came home, still upset with Everett and sick about it all.  However, for the first time probably ever - we got to him.  He came out of his room with big red puffy eyes from crying so sorry that he really hurt Aubrie.  He was truly upset!  Don't get me wrong, the boy says "Sorry" all the time, but he never really means it or understands WHY he needs to say it.  It's a daily struggle with him to remember his consequences and why we don't hit, bite, etc. 

So Aubrie is feeling much better & got a prize snack back of Cheetos to cheer her up from my Mom, and Everett finally realized why we don't hit.

Now - I need one helluva daiquiri!  Thank goodness for Jade & his hugs!


8 comments:

  1. I well remember the days of young children. It is a constant learning curve for them and you. Sounds like you and your hubby handled everything perfectly and I like the super glue solution :-) Parenting makes the parents stronger and the kids responsible, but it just takes time! Love your blog and please go have that daiquiri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness...I'm so sorry! It's not easy being a parent that's for sure. It's awesome that you have your mom and dad so close to go to for advice. I would say the super glue solution was the right one!

    I hope tomorrow is a better day.

    xo
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness everything was ok! Thanks for sharing and thank goodness your dad was able to help you get it all figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We struggle with this battle DAILY! I definitely think it's a boy thing. They're so much rougher than girls! Glad Everett finally understood. Usually the only way I can get through to my son is if I tell him he can't play baseball. I guess you have to find what works for each kid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie, it sure can be scary times for us parents when our children are little.. and even when they are older too! I am so glad that Aubrie is all right, and that the super glue worked... Gosh, I never would have thought about using that... It is great that your parents live close by and can offer their help and knowledge on things like this.. I'm glad Everett realized that what he did to Aubrie was a big no no! I bet he'll never try doing that again.. as it had to be so scary for Aubrie, him, and both of his parents too!

    Blessings,
    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, mommy to little ones - toughest, scariest job EVER, EVER !!!!

    I've heard they use super glue on little ones quite a bit at the hospital - smart move mommy !

    Glad both kiddos are better now - have that drink, you deserve it !


    gena in nj
    www.thehouseonlavenderhill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is the sweetest boy ever and then he loses his mind haha They will survive and so will you. Friday I had to pray for patience with him , and then thought " oh no God may really test me now" But it worked , we had a better day and they were great that night. They went to bed and played great together. We are blessed they are healthy and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could see my little guy doing the same thing. He's 2 and rough and tumble, no fear and doesn't really understand when others are hurt. He just has fewer possible-victims (no siblings yet). It's hard to remember that the little guys don't mean to really hurt someone. In a strange way it must have felt good to see that he finally understood. Too bad blood has to be drawn first :) Hope Aubrie's head heals quickly :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words & support! I love hearing from you & read each and every comment you leave for me! ~Annie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails