Saturday, May 21, 2011

The American Farmer

My Dad is a farmer.

Yes a real life, working the dirt kind of man.  He tills the soil, or sometimes he uses no-till.  He always plants & harvests it.

In the spring he worries about rain & getting the crops in on time.

In the fall he worries again about rain & sometimes snow & getting the crops out on time.

His hands always...always...look dirty.  Even when he washes them.  He works hard.  Gloves are optional.


He grows corn, sorghum, soybeans, wheat, and my personal favorite - beef cattle.  I have eaten at some amazing steak joints in my high profile job days - never has one touched the flavor of my Dads.

He doesn't have a college degree, but he's smarter than anyone I know.  Sometimes using your hands is the best way to learn.

He drives big tractors with cabs, and sometimes tractors without cabs. 

He works in the blazing heat, pouring rain, and icy cold.  I have personally seen snot frozen on his nose.

He always carries a hankie.

He doesn't get sick days, or vacation days.  Someone still has to feed the cattle no matter what.  That is dedication.


He gets kicked in the nuts...literally...and gets up and walks it off.  He is tough squared.

He likes when the grand kids tag along.  I used to tag along when I was a little - I did not enjoy it. 

 It was hot, buggy, and always stinky and dirty.  I prefer Moms pedicures and shopping trips.  I did however like the snacks.  There were always...always...snacks with Dad and Grandpa Everett.  Ice cream, Snickers, Little Debbie's - always snacks.


Everett loves to farm.  He loves to fix things.  I hope he becomes the next American farmer.  We need more men that understand the value of true hard work, breaking your back for a dollar, working hard for your family.  There aren't enough of these amazing men around & I'm proud to be the daughter of one!


6 comments:

  1. I just love hearing about people who are the true backbone of America. It's so heartwarming. My grandfather was a part-time farmer (soybeans, mostly, and Christmas trees at one time) and a butcher (had a shop - didn't have his own cattle or anything) and a fisherman. And a volunteer fireman. I think back on how cool it was to go to the farm when I was a kid and ride with him on his tractor. My father has the farm now, although the fields are farmed by others. It's still a wonderful place to go.

    Your dad sounds wonderful!! Does he read your blog, btw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think TLC should have a show American Farmers. They are every bit as entertaining as Ice Road Truckers and the fisherman they feature. Someone call TLC or History channel. I know one who would entertain their socks off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW what the heck. I did not shop and get pedicures when you were little. I had no money because of you rug rats. I mowed the yard and cleaned non- stop . You were pigs. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful post. I really like your dad! Then are not enough men like him around today. People are just so clueless about the American farmer. My Sweets granddad was a farmer and he worked hard day and after day. He was a real hero to my Sweets when he was a kid! Thanks for sharing your precious dad with us. I would love to visit and taste that beef! My cousin down home still owns the family business a feed lot and meat market. They serve up wonderful beef! So different from the junk that is injected at the grocery stores today! Hugs to you and your family. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED this post!!! My Dad is the farm boss here on the Ranch we live on and this post described him perfectly! LOL...Worrying about the crop, no days off, hard working...I'm going to get him to read this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME post! Thank you Stu! Go Everett! I'm with your Mom tho... We call ours filthy little pigmies. Ain't no one w/manicured hands round here.
    hugs,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words & support! I love hearing from you & read each and every comment you leave for me! ~Annie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails