Monday, January 11, 2010

High off Spray Paint

I have always said that spray paint is one of my best friends.

I buy a hideous end table for $3 at a rummage sale.  I buy a $3 can of orange spray paint & voilà - it looks great - and no one knows I'm cheap!  I do this ALL the time.

However, I had a bad experience with spray paint.  I quickly found out that if something is highly varnished - you need to REALLY lay on the sand paper.  I did scuff up the surface a bit...don't get me wrong, but not enough.



I had bubbles - serious bubbles & horrible 90's crackling.  And of all the pieces in the world, this was on my Grandpa Everett's handed down wall clock in the picture below.



Now you probably think - why on earth were you trying to spray paint your beloved Grandpa's clock?!?  And - who paints wood?!?  Well first off - I paint wood all the time.  I just am not a wood grained girl.  My Mom was cheap and couldn't afford wood furniture nor can I.  So we paint everything & wood looks stupid in our houses - it's just the way it is in my highly painted & colorful home.  Secondly - it was ugly wood - from the 70's.  So I'm painting it white so it's timeless - are you with me now?  OK great.



Anyway, after some serious paint scraping & re-sanding - I was finally able to paint it white.  It looks great now!  I'm glad I did it!  Thank the lord I saved it, because Jade was about to stroke out over the thought that I ruined Grandpa's clock.

**Keep in mind that my Gpa farmed with my Dad & we saw him every single day.  That means from age 16 to 25, Jade spent a lot of time farming with my Grandpa & my Dad.  They constantlly harassed each other & Grandpa constantly called Jade a pussy.  Please don't be offended - it was how Gpa Everett was.  Besides Jade took it like a man and often times in the situation Grandpa was totally right - don't tell Jade I said that - wink wink!  But Jade loved my Grandpa & misses him too so it's also his family treasure as well as mind - he was not happy with Annie over this!**

Take my serious screw up to heart.  Spray paint will love you with all it's heart, until it meets high gloss varnish.  Then it will take a big crap on your project and make you cry.




9 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, paint and varnish and enemies! And watch out for furniture with knot holes, if not painted with the right stuff, in about 6 months you will want to pull your hair out! ;o) ~mary~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oopp...I meant paint and varnish ARE enemies! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man...i'm glad you saved it! it looks really great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL

    I love it in white- looks so great with the yellow!

    Your Gramps sounds like he was a hoot!
    I'm on the lookout for high gloss... so I can get it sanded while I sit and wait for the weather to warm up... tick tock tick tock.

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Annie, welcome to the blogging world. I saw your picture on another blog...I can't remember which one...goodness!

    Your blog is lovely. You will love it here. So much support and kindness.

    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on that, if the wood is ugly paint it. I paint everything that doesn't move :)
    Looks great white

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me laugh out loud!
    I love reading your blog posts!
    I gave you an award. It's over at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! I think it looks so much better too!

    Thanks for visiting Barb - I love the blogging world so far - so positive. Everyone finds something nice to say even though their styles are different - I like that!

    Thanks for the award Leanne - I'm heading over to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words & support! I love hearing from you & read each and every comment you leave for me! ~Annie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails