You simply MUST try this stew! It's amazing! I reposted the recipe from my dear friend Valerie Woeste over at her blog Healthy Life. She is the master at clean, healthy, easy, and tasty recipes!!
- 32 oz low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp garlic sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp thyme
- 1/2 tbsp basil
- 1/2 tbsp cilantro
- 1/4 tbsp dill
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup uncooked black-eyed peas, rinsed and picked through
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 medium sweet onion, cubed
- 20 oz potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 10 oz carrots (3 large), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 8 tbsp greek yogurt (optional)
- Fill a slow cooker with broth, 8 oz water, garlic, herbs and pepper. Add chicken, peas and barley, then layer onion, potatoes and carrots overtop. Liquid should just cover vegetables. Do not stir.
- Allow to simmer overnight, at least 4 to 6 hours. Remove bay leaves and stir before serving. Spoon 1 cup into each bowl and top with 1 tbsp greek yogurt, if desired.